Monday, June 9, 2008

Castle Story -#1 wife

We never saw her in the car. All we saw was the
rent-a-cop telling our high school friend to get
into the car. The rules at the Castle were that
you could not hang outside the car, but must be
inside the car to stay there.(This was 1964) Once
our friend got inside,my friend Tom and I proceeded
to go over to the car and throw a cherry bomb firecracker
beneath the car. (My friend is not here to defend
himself , but he is the one that threw it.) When
it did not go off, he and I casually strolled over
to the car and I distracted them(there were three
girls and our friend in the car),while Tom looked
under the car to see why the cherry bomb had not
gone off. They wanted to know why Tom was looking
under their car and since we did not know them, except
our friend of course, we told them Tom had dropped
some money and he wanted to look for it. They all wanted
to get out of the car and look for it too, and meanwhile
here comes the cop and wants to know why the six of us
were out of the car. He made us all get back in, and
our friend who was trying to pick up one or all of the
girls,was forced to introduce us to the girls.They attended,
Page High School, at least two of them, and one of them
was a sister of Linda and she was in Junior High. Mom had
made them bring her so the other two girls would not get into
trouble. In any case I was introduced to Dianne and she
told me to call her "Dare", which was her nickname, and
I told her she could call me Fred , even though my name
was Larry. I assumed she was putting me on so I just
played back. She ask me where I was from,and that I
talked with an accent, and I told her I was from New York
City since the song the "Boy From New York City" by the
Adlibs had just played on the radio.Tom ask Linda out and
I ask Dare out, which was her real nickname, and the rest was
history. I married her four years later in 1968. Later
in my life I did live in New York City. I never considered
myself from N.Y. I have always considered myself from
Greensboro, North Carolina, home of the Boar and Castle..
and the place I met my wife "Dare".

1 comment:

Larry Oldham said...

Dare's comment by email was as followed. Most everything was correct, however she did not remember the girls getting out of the car. So I stand corrected. This might give you some insight to why we are not married. That was 44 years ago and she finds it difficult to understand poetic license or senior moment..I am not sure which. I apologize Dare.